Bridesburg Presbyterian Church Cemetery - Bridesburg, Phila, PA


Bridesburg Presbyterian Church Cemetery

Pratt West of Richmond Street
Bridesburg, Philadelphia, PA








I am going to start off by saying how interesting this cemetery was to me.  The natural foliage and growth all over the graves is something that is rarely seen at well maintained cemeteries.  Many (most) graves were knocked over and tangled in tree branches or had grass beginning to form around them.  There are sinking graves all over.  For some reason I found this cemetery very calming and serene and I loved the way it had been overcome by the passing of time.



Many of the graves and headstones were VERY hard to read due to the wearing away of the stones.  My guess is those may have been around since the mid 19th century since many of the ones I could still read were heading into the late 1800's.

All in all, this cemetery is beautiful and obviously there is a lack of care or funding to maintain the grounds.  I am going to do more research into the history as I am very interested in this quaint and small cemetery in the Bridesburg section of the city.


I am especially interested in the small headstone with the last name "Buckius" since the neighboring street is named after the surname, I would love to see if this was a prominent figure or person in "Bridesburgian" history.

Photos:





Comments

Popular Posts